Sunday, January 20, 2013

He Who Is Richest


"The man is richest whose pleasures are cheapest." 
--Henry David Thoreau

Do you believe this quote?  Thoreau did manage to live happily in solitude on Walden Pond for quite some time, with very few possessions.

Could you do that?  Would you even want to try?

Personally, even though I like quiet and solitude, and I try to be grateful for what I have, I'm not sure I'd want to give up many of my cozy creature comforts in my home to live at Walden Pond, even though I thought it was indeed beautiful when I visited there many years ago.

I think maybe what Thoreau had in mind here was that it's good to be content and thankful for what we already have, rather than always be longing for more.

Food for lifestyle thought!
Kathryn :)


No comments:

Free Newsletter & Tips

Instantly receive my download articles Top 10 Organizing, Decorating, & Lifestyle Tips, AND Small Space Savvy in a Big Stuff World.
Includes my free e-newsletter.

Enter your email address here: